In the heyday of iTunes, Apple customers saved their music, motion pictures, and TV exhibits on their Macs and shared them with other Macs of their properties, in addition to their iPhones, iPads, and Apple TVs. Of late, nonetheless, streaming has grow to be Apple’s most popular media consumption method, due to the rise of Apple Music and the best way the Apple TV app aggregates video streaming providers like Netflix.
Nevertheless, though iTunes has been changed by the Music and TV apps on the Mac, it’s nonetheless potential to take care of your libraries of music and movies on your Mac. When you do this, sharing that media with your other Apple units over your native Wi-Fi community continues to work by Home Sharing, however the way you handle that know-how has modified. To be clear, we’re speaking about content material saved within the Media folders specified within the Music and TV apps’ preferences—they might nonetheless level to an previous iTunes Media folder.
One be aware first. We’re specializing in community sharing right here, not syncing media to an iPhone or iPad. That’s potential too, however is a separate matter—for extra particulars, take a look at Take Control of macOS Media Apps, by Kirk McElhearn.
Set Up Home Sharing on Your Mac
With the demise of iTunes, Apple has moved the Home Sharing controls to the Sharing pane of System Preferences. Follow these steps to allow it:
- Open System Preferences > Sharing > Media Sharing.
- Give your library a recognizable identify.
- Select the checkbox for Home Sharing.
- Enter your Apple ID credentials. You’ll want to make use of this identical Apple ID for each pc or system on your Home Sharing community. (There can also be a visitor possibility that others in your family can use; see under.)
- Click Turn On Home Sharing.
Home Sharing offers three choices through checkboxes:
- Devices replace play counts: Select this feature if you’d like every play from considered one of your units to replace the play rely in your Home Sharing library.
- Share pictures with Apple TV: This possibility helps you to share pictures from your Photos library—both the whole lot or simply chosen albums, with an possibility to incorporate movies. You may also share pictures from your Pictures folder, any folder inside it, or any folder in any respect.
- Share media with friends: Normally, you’ll be able to entry media utilizing Home Sharing solely from units signed in with your Apple ID. With this feature, nonetheless, you’ll be able to enable friends to entry your songs, motion pictures, and TV exhibits. If you reside in an house or other scenario the place folks unknown to you’ll be able to see your Wi-Fi community, it’s a good suggestion to require a password, and regardless, you’ll be able to share simply chosen playlists if you’d like. Guests entry Home Sharing media identical to you do.
Access Media from a Mac
The means of accessing media from one other Mac utilizing Home Sharing is similar for music and video—the one distinction is that you simply use the Music app for music and the TV app for video. In both, click on Library within the sidebar and select your shared library beneath Public Sharing. Library modifications to the identify of your shared library, and all of the objects beneath show its contents. You’ll work together with them identical to any native or streamed media.
Access Media from an iPhone or iPad
As on the Mac, the trick on the iPhone or iPad is just to make use of the right app. For occasion, to entry your movies, open the TV app, faucet Library ➊ on the backside, and faucet the identify of your Home Sharing library ➋ above. You’ll then have to faucet to pick out the kind of content material you wish to view, and then you definately’ll see thumbnails for the precise movies. Tap one to play it.
Access Media and Photos from an Apple TV
Finding Home Sharing media is slightly completely different on the Apple TV. Open the Computers app, choose your library, after which select from music, pictures, or movies on the prime. A sidebar on the proper helps you to drill down into your content material.
You may also have the Apple TV play a randomized slideshow of your pictures as its display saver. Go to Settings > General > Screen Saver > Type > Home Sharing > Photos, and choose both Photos to indicate all obtainable pictures or Albums to restrict the choice. In the Screen Saver preferences, you may also set a most popular transition.
We gained’t faux that Home Sharing is the most recent and biggest know-how from Apple—it’s positively yesteryear’s resolution—however if in case you have a number of music and video on your Mac, it’s a great way to share it all through your home and get a personalised display saver on your Apple TV.
(Featured picture primarily based on an authentic by Erik Mclean from Pexels)